I hear it from every single blogger.
"I never knew."
Blogging seems to be a love/hate relationship.
Some days, the posts just flow through your fingertips (like this post, this post and this post).
Other days, I have no idea what to write,
so I end up writing about my nail polish matching the color of my skinnies.
Very exciting, I know.
Lately, I've been reflecting on Aunie Sauce as a blog, and me as a person.
Some very clear ideas and thoughts have come to mind.
And they all start with "I never knew."
I believe I'm constantly in a state of learning when it comes to blogging,
heck, when it comes to living life.
So in case you want to know, here are some things that I never knew.
Last November, when I began Aunie Sauce, I never knew...
- How many friends I would meet! I feel like I have better relationships with some of my blogging friends than people I know in real life.
- That 100+ emails could come in during one day.
- Than answering said 100+ emails, commenting through social media, putting out blog posts and working at my real job 8+ hours a day just isn't possible. Oh, and don't forget the gym, spending time with Daniel, and actually doing something for myself once in a while. And I'm not even on Pinterest. Not. Going. To. Happen.
- That 1,000 amazing people would actually ever click that little blue "Join This Site" button. It happened. Yesterday. Whoa.
- That anyone would even care about how many people follow anyone. Honestly? I know that 1,000 people don't come to my blog each day. So why does that little number even matter?
- That blogging could be profitable. Granted, mine isn't yet, but maybe someday.
- That blogging takes a lot of time. Taking photos, writing posts, organizing the details. I am not one of those people that can just bust out a post in 10 minutes. I have to think about them. And they usually end up being a little longer because I'm just so into it.
- That businesses like to send bloggers free stuff. Definite bonus. And thank you current (and future) businesses for your consideration ♥
- That blogging is a lot like high school. Cliques. Gossip. Bullying. That's all really intimidating to me so I try to stay out of it.
- That some of the bloggers who are really popular are not the best bloggers. I love reading blogs written from the heart. If there's no heart in a post, I'm out of there.
- That there can be such a thing as too many giveaways. I try to have my one big one a month, and then little ones as they come from individual feature sponsors. But more than that? No thank you. It's a hassle for me and I know that readers want posts. Feelings. Sincerity. Honestly? If you're just coming here for the free stuff... well, then good for you, I guess. But if you're here to read about me, I love you even more.
- That people get really serious about blog hops, link-ups, and big blog collaborations/giveaways/shopping events/mega-group skype sessions. I'm all for attending a conference (if any would come close to me), but the big online things just don't appeal to me all that much. I don't love hosting blog hops or big-group link-ups. It's not what I'm about. I always feel bad when I have to write an email back apologizing that it's just not something I'm into... but it's true. I like writing my posts. For me. I hope that doesn't come off as snobby. While I don't mind putting a link-up on my blog once a week(ahem... today), I don't make people post my button, follow anyone, or abide by any rules. It's just a way to get some more exposure for your blog, and I'm happy to host that.
- That reading every single post from blogs that I follow every day is impossible. That commenting on every post that I do read is impossible. That replying to every single comment is impossible. But I tell you what, I try my darnedest.
- That I would be so passionate about blogging that I could write really long, ranting posts about it!
I went through THREE blogs (one, two, three) before I created Aunie Sauce.
And it has since gone in an entirely DIFFERENT direction than I ever thought it would go.
When I started it, I was going to post 7 days a week.
Each post would have a simple photo and maybe 1 or 2 sentences.
It was just going to be like a little daily photo journal.
The idea of paying anyone to advertise or me myself being paid— ridiculous!
I never even knew people did anything like that.
And that was just this last November.
I've learned that sometimes finding an image comes as you go.
I never in a million years thought I'd take photos of what I wear.
Now, that's what people like the best... and it is beginning to get easier to make those awkward poses seem OK.
I also struggled with a color scheme, design, layout, etc. for so long.
I finally had a nice long email session with a graphic designer/blogger who was a good friend and she really helped me find my niche when it came to the design, feel, and image I wanted.
But I think what I've learned that I've kept closest to my heart is the reason why I began blogging in the first place,
I blog for me.
I began each of my blogs with the purpose of creating something for myself.
An outlet to vent, a place to share my nail art, a project to help my hair (and the community).
And Aunie Sauce is no different.
Everyone needs some outlet in their lives to relieve stress,
call their own.
This is mine.
My little journal.
My little blog-that-seems-like-a-reality-show.
My place to post my thoughts and feelings about my life.
I love it.
I never knew that blogging could help make me a better person.
A woman of faith.
And passionate about sharing my saucy love with the world.
It makes me so excited for what else I will find along this journey...
and everything else that I don't yet know.
Link up and meet some Saucy Ladies!!
(Note: you DO NOT have to be a part of "Just Because Fridays" to link up... link up "just because!")